At some point, everyone is at the beginning of their career. But especially all beginnings are difficult. As a model it is not enough to be beautiful. You also have to be clever to establish yourself in the industry. Besides the requirements of a model like the right measurements and age, the right model application is just as important. Although there are different ways to become a model, you probably won't be able to avoid an application. There are some things to consider. From the comp card, the casting, to the modeling contract, we will explain every step of your modeling career to you. That and much more you can find out here!
1. What are the requirements
Of course, it is first of all important to meet the requirements of a model in order to be able to apply for a job at a model agency. Your appearance is very important in the modeling business. It is not only important to have a great charisma, but also a tall, slim figure and the right measurements are important.
Be it for the catwalk, catalog or advertising, a height of 175 cm to 180 cm is essential. The fact that there are exceptions is probably already known to everyone since the days of Kate Moss whose height measures 170 cm. Your size should be between 34 and 38 with a shoe size between 37 and 41. A certain weight cannot be mentioned, since every physique is different. But it is important that you do a lot of sports, eat well and, above all, look healthy. Many people still think of the ideal sizes 90-60-90, which are more or less up to date, since there are now many different types of models, such as curvy or fitness models. An ideal age to apply as a model is between 16 and 18, but don't be afraid to apply later. Kati Nescher also tried her luck at the age of 26 and is now a worldwide known model. But there are also models who are discovered on the street by a model scout when they are 14 years old.
But what do you do if you are not lucky enough to be discovered on the street by a model scout? Next, we will answer the question of how to become a model and the different ways to do so.
2. How to become a model
Karlie Kloss, Candice Swanepoel, Gisele Bündchen: they were all discovered on the street by a model scout. From then on, their careers took off. But what can you do if you are not one of the lucky ones who are discovered? We will tell you how to become a model anyway.
If you are not approached by a model scout on the street while shopping, you don't have to worry, your dream of becoming a model is far from over. Take the initiative and apply yourself! Keyword: Model application. A model application is not as far-fetched as you think. What are model agencies or model portals for? Take it into your own hands and create a go-models profile! With us you can start off as a model, because we connect you with clients. The ideal opportunity to make contacts with people from the industry. The important thing is to get the ball rolling. How do you want to become known if nobody knows you? At go-models you can easily register and create an online profile, which can be used to get jobs.
To apply as a model at a modeling agency, your application must include a few things. We will give you tips & tricks on what is especially important.
3. What do I need for an application?
A full schedule, fashion week in Milan, New York or Berlin, photo shoots on the beach - that sounds too good to be true. But until then, you'll be facing many challenges. One of them is the model application.
In general, mass mailings are not very successful. If you go to the individual websites of the agencies, you can often see how the application process works there. Most of the time you apply online, but you can also call them personally before you do so they already have your name in mind. Over time you will gain more and more experience and become better at it. Are you new in the modeling business? Don't worry, we will tell you the most important steps you should be aware of.
- Portfolio: In the beginning there is the question what kind of model you want to be. High-Fashion, Fitness, Curvy? Depending on this you create your portfolio, a folder with a collection of expressive photos of yourself. But be careful: Less is more. You'd rather add a few photos less, but these in best quality. In general, your portfolio should contain between 6 - 15 pictures in the size 18x24 cm, 24x30 cm or 30x40 cm. This is not only about your looks, but also about your skills as a model, your personality and your ability to change. Choose different photos. A portrait without make-up, a so-called Polaroid, as well as a full body photo are a must. It's best to sort them, the best two belong right at the beginning, so that the client or agency is immediately impressed by you.
- Comp card: To apply as a model, there is one thing above all that is of special importance: a comp card. A comp card is THE business card of a model. As big as a DIN A4 or DIN A5 format it contains all important information like name, size, age, measurements and two to three photos. This gives the client or agency a first impression of you before you are allowed to prove yourself personally. Of course, you want to convince with it, so you should pay attention to a good quality of the photos and a decent comp card. As you know, the first impression always counts, so you should put some work into it, it will pay off in the end. By the way: comp card stands for composite card!
- Casting: The casting is like a job interview for the model. A distinction is made between open and closed castings. In open casting there is a lot of competition, because many models appear. In the closed casting you have received an invitation regarding your application. Accordingly, there was a pre-selection and therefore less models come. In general, you introduce yourself briefly and walk up and down, maybe you are even allowed to do a test shoot. So, you should also prepare yourself for it and even know the history and portfolio of the agency. For a casting you should appear in a natural look, wear as little make-up as possible and choose simple but figure-hugging clothes like black jeans and a white t-shirt and of course you shouldn't miss high heels. Here again, first impressions count. At a casting, this is often only a few minutes in which you can make a positive impression. So prepare yourself well, practice your walking and posing and above all be self-confident! Because personality is also important so that the customer remembers you at the end of the day.
- Model contract: Once you have overcome the hurdles of applying with comp card and casting, the only thing missing is the model contract. A model contract, also called model release, is the model's consent to the commercial use of the photos. Typical contract clauses include the type of use, subject of the contract (including place, time, type of photographs), the fee, the contractual partners, etc. It contains the essential regulation points so that both parties are secured. Furthermore, the model can revoke it. With a model contract you are always on the safe side and you should never agree to a photo shoot without having signed one.
In addition to model agencies, you can also apply online for free at model portals like go-models. An annual membership is also possible. There is a list of jobs you can apply for internally or you can even receive a job request from a client. This is a good alternative to model agencies, because you can get in direct contact with clients.
Traveling around the world, looking great, wearing the latest designer clothes - that' s how beautiful model life can be. But don't wait to be approached and discovered on the street by a model scout.
Seize the chance and do something about it on your own! Every beginning is hard. There is no such thing as success overnight, you only see the tip of the iceberg. The effort and work behind it are hardly ever mentioned. So, don't let yourself be dazzled and start your modeling career. If you meet the external requirements, you should not wait too long and start with your model application. Search for suitable model agencies, create your portfolio and your comp card, add a few meaningful photos and with a little luck you will soon be invited to a casting and may even be signed. You are in charge of it all!